Each year hundreds of Louisiana’s best and brightest young men and women contact my office about a nomination to a Service Academy. There are five Service Academies: United States Military Academy, United States Naval Academy, Air Force Academy, Coast Guard Academy, and Merchant Marine Academy. Please note that nominations are required for every Service Academy, except the Coast Guard Academy.
Applicants are encouraged to visit the websites for each Academy to determine the entrance requirements as well as the respective deadline for applications. Applicants also must meet certain eligibility requirements (listed below) and be nominated by an authorized nominating source. Nominating sources include, but are not limited to, the applicant’s two United States Senators, and United States Congressman (applicants may also verify other nominating sources with the Academies).
Members of Congress may have no more than five people attending each Service Academy at any given time. For each vacancy, ten nominations may be submitted to the respective Academy Admissions Office. Offers of appointment are made by the Academy on a competitive basis measuring the eligibility of all ten nominees.
An applicant must meet the following eligibility requirements as of July 1st of the year of admission to a Service Academy:
• Must be a United States citizen
• Must be a legal resident of Louisiana
• Must be at least 17 years of age, but cannot have passed their 23rd birthday
The US Merchant Marine Academy varies slightly, allowing individuals between the ages of 17 and 25 to apply.
• Must meet the medical, physical, and academic requirements of the Academy (contact the Academies directly for more information regarding their standards)
• Cannot be pregnant or have a legal obligation to support children or other dependents
Those interested in a nomination from my office must create an online account.
Please contact my Academy Nominations Coordinator to notify her of your intent to seek my nomination. This notification must occur before opening an online application. Please email or call Dana W. Brignac if you have any questions or need further information at Academy_Kennedy@kennedy.senate.gov
2018-2019 APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR SENATOR KENNEDY
You must submit the information below through your online account by 11:59 p.m., Friday, November 9, 2018 - incomplete application accounts will not be considered, no exceptions will be made.
For High School Seniors, College Students, Active Duty Military Members:
1. Online application - click here. (once you create an account, you will be given a password so you can save data as you work towards completion.
2. Resume (1 page only)
3. Three Letters of Recommendation: Letters must be addressed to Senator Kennedy and may come from sources of your choice, except family members. Do not submit more than 3 letters. These letters should be scanned into a single electronic file and uploaded to your application. Letters of recommendation or other materials mailed separately to my office will be returned to you. Please request that all letters be submitted directly to you.
4. Transcript: An official transcript of your high school academic record must show your final junior grades and numerical class rank or percentile rank. If your school only provides sealed transcripts and letters of recommendation, those may be mailed to my office. Please notify my Academy Nominations Coordinator if this is your school’s policy. Mail must be postmarked by Nov. 9, 2018 or it will be disallowed and your application will be disqualified.
5. College Boards (SAT and/or ACT Scores): Your scores may be submitted from the respective testing agency or you may upload a copy of your scores printed from the testing agency website. You will upload this document through your online portal.
6. Candidate Essays: Your essays will provide a more in-depth view of your desire to attend a Service Academy; therefore, you must answer each question included on your online application.
7. Headshot: 2 ½” X 3 ½” photo
After the November 9th deadline, my office will work with the Academies' Admissions Offices to determine interview status for candidates who submitted a complete file to my office by the deadline. Submitting a complete file to my office does not guarantee an interview. For those candidates who are scheduled for an interview, you must sit for your interview with my Academy Panel to be considered for a nomination from my office. Interviews will be held Nov. 29 – Dec. 1 in Alexandria, LA. Interviews are mandatory. You will be notified of your exact date and time approximately 1 week in advance. You may not request that your interview be rescheduled. An interview will only be rescheduled for a documented family illness or emergency. You should mark these dates on our calendar now to avoid any conflicts with school or extracurricular activities.
It is in your best interest to complete your application file at your Academy of choice as soon as possible. The Academy will notify you about a medical examination which is administered by the Department of Defense Medical Examination Review Board (DODMERB) and a Candidate Fitness Test.
Due to the competitiveness of the admissions process, you are encouraged to request a nomination from all possible nominating sources.
Remember, you are responsible for submitting all application requirements via your online account no later than 11:59 PM on Friday, November 9, 2018.
Keep in mind receiving an offer of appointment is an extremely competitive process; therefore, you may wish to consider one of the Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) programs at your college or university of choice. ROTC can offer you the same officer commission and military career opportunity as a Service Academy. In addition, ROTC offers a variety of tuition and fees scholarships. For more information, please visit the ROTC website: www.rotc.com
For more information on the Service Academies, you are encouraged to check out their websites: